How to Transfer a Website from Weebly to Squarespace (Part 1)
This post has been a long time coming! At the moment, I'm making a BIG Weebly to Squarespace website transfer (we're talking 100+ web pages here, people!) and I wanted to create a tutorial that shows how to transfer a website from Weebly to Squarespace because it's really not the most intuitive for all people. (I had to do a lot of research!)
So this is Part 1 of the 2-part series: How to Transfer a Website from Weebly to Squarespace. What we'll cover here is the necessary act of manually importing all pages and blog posts from your Weebly site to Squarespace (one page at a time, it will get there!).
Then, in Part 2, we'll cover domain transfers, launching your new Squarespace site, and other things to expect when you're expecting (a website transfer!).
So, the primary thing here is that since there is no automatic importing option from Weebly to Squarespace (as there is from Wordpress to Squarespace), we'll have to do the transfer ourselves. Not to worry though, with the right planning and time allotment, it can be done!
1. Create a map and timeline of everything that you'll need to move over to Squarespace. I love Squarespace because for any new website creation, you'll get a free two-week period to trial your site. Hint: this is how and why I create a website in two weeks for my clients!
Tip: Give yourself a lot of time. If you have a multi-page website on Weebly, it can take quite a bit of time to move everything over, depending on the layout and whatnot even when you're right in your workflow. Give yourself time, and stick to a schedule. I wrote down my goals for each day (i.e. Home and About pages on Day 1, etc.)
Tip: Need more time on your Squarespace two-week trial? Not a problem! Just select the 'Extend your trial by seven days' button on the email notifying you that your trial will be ending soon, and you'll get an extra week for free!
2. Choose your Squarespace template.
Now for the fun part: choosing a new template! If you're looking to make your new Squarespace site look as similar as possible to your Weebly site, just search around for a similar-looking template when you browse.
If you're taking your Weebly to Squarespace transfer as a chance to fully re-brand and up-style your website, the template world is your oyster! Have fun browsing, but make sure that the new template includes all of the main functions that you'll be needing in a website!
3. Organize your website images.
I find the easiest way to do this is to create a file in Google Drive (or on your desktop) and taking all photos and images from my Weebly site and putting them in there so I'll know exactly where to go when it comes time to start inputting my photos on my new Squarespace site.
4. If you want to clean up certain sections of your website, now is the best time! You'll know exactly what you want to do, so just clean it up as you go!
5. For multi-page websites, create a page sample (or "skeleton"), duplicate it, and fill in each page instead of creating pages over and over again.
For this example, there are hundreds of City Guide pages that all use the same layout (i.e. Where to Eat, Best and Worst Things About City, etc.), so instead of creating new pages each and every time, I found it best to create a City Guide Template and then duplicating that page each time to make it unique for different cities.
6. Our last step of Part 1 of the Weebly to Squarespace site transfer will involve importing the blog components. Similar to the multiple-page import, you'll have to import your blog posts one by one which can be a pain OR...totally amazing because you'll get to completely reboot your brand (if you'd like!)
Note on Weebly to Squarespace blog import: As you import each blog post, you'll notice that all of your posts are uploading on the same day. To preserve the dates you originally published the original blog posts, just scroll down to the bottom right-hand corner of the Post Edit box, select the date on "Published On" and choose the day (in the past) that it was posted! Easy!
Okay, folks, there you have it for Part 1 of How to Transfer a Website from Weebly to Squarespace!
We'll be covering the actual Domain Transfer (from Weebly to Squarespace), as well as conducting an overall seamless (and painless!) website transfer!
Psst! Sign up below to get updates that I don't share with anyone else.
Scandalous? Maybe. Worth it? Totally.
Possibly the most worthwhile decision of your life (thus far), in fact.
Stay cool, stay creative -